History of the Land and Canadian Rockies Public Schools
To empower students to be their finest, today and tomorrow.
Canadian Rockies Public Schools
Canadian Rockies Public Schools (CRPS) is a small school division within the provincial public system. It provides public educational services for students living in the Bow Valley through a total of seven elementary, middle, and high schools as well as an alternative school. The goal of CRPS is to be a destination for world class education, research and sustainability. A viable, resilient school division will ultimately benefit the entire community.
The Lawrence Grassi Middle School (LGMS) is one of the seven CRPS schools in the Bow Valley. The LGMS school site has been an important part of the town of Canmore since 1896 and will continue to be well into the future. Canmore’s first school was built on the current LGMS site in 1896 and the Lawrence Grassi School started construction in 2006 and opened in 2008.
Creating dynamic learning environments that ensure student success.
History of the Land
The Lawrence Grassi School site is located in the town of Canmore, Alberta. The site is owned by Canadian Rockies Public Schools (CRPS). The entire site is approximately 3.59 hectares (8.8 acres). The southern half of the site was deeded to CRPS by Canmore Mines Ltd. in 1980 for future use to be used for school board purposes. The portion of the lands now owned by CRPS was also the old LGMS school site and is approximately 2.8 acres in size.